Open & closing dates
Sat, 11 May 2019 to Fri, 24 May 2019 23:59:00
Land Development Svcs
$79,103 to $131,838 (per year)Appointment type
FT Salary W BN
Fairfax County boasts a top-notch school system, safe neighborhoods, thousands of acres of parkland, and bustling town centers. County government sits at the heart of this dynamic community of 1.1 million residents and seeks employees eager to bring their energy, enthusiasm and skills to serve Fairfax residents and to shape the county's future.
Land Development Services (LDS) is the steward of the county's land development and building construction codes and regulations, and its staff members embrace their essential role as "first preventers." Every day, through careful review, permitting and inspection of site and building construction, our staff protects the health, safety, welfare, and environment for those who live in, work in, and visit Fairfax County.
Our department also serves as the gateway to much of the county's economic development, reviewing over 26,000 building and site plans, issuing nearly 60,000 building permits, and conducting over 216,000 building and site inspections each year.u00a0 If you would like to join a creative, collaborative, innovative team doing meaningful work, then LDS is the place for you.
The Site Development and Inspections Division (SDID) of Land Development Services (LDS) seeks an experienced individual to manage one of three branches in the division. The Branch Chief works under the general supervision of the Division Director providing leadership and supervision of approximately nine plan review engineers and a supervising engineering inspector, whose responsibilities include the review and approval of site development plans and construction inspections for compliance with applicable codes, ordinances, policies and procedures. The successful candidate must be solution-oriented and decisive, seeking creative ways to facilitate plan approvals and solve construction issues in the field while providing excellent customer service to applicants, residents, and complainants. This position also will work in concert with the division director and other senior staff to develop and implement strategic goals that align with the LDS vision, mission and values.
- Supervises plan reviewers responsible for the approval or disapproval of record plats, grading plans, public improvement plans, subdivision plans, site plans, Chesapeake Bay Ordinance exceptions and exemptions, waivers, modifications and other related submissions.
- Holds staff accountable to agency goals of speed, consistency and predictability while promoting a culture of respect, open communication, innovation and continuous improvement. Facilitates a collaborative work environment and project management approach to plan review.
- Initiates and manages staff recruitments, staff recognition and rewards, promotions, and disciplinary actions when necessary.
- Uses management tools, including metrics to track staff productivity, performance evaluations, staff meetings, training and mentoring to develop employee's skills, knowledge and experience.
- Serves as a liaison to the Board of Supervisors offices for the assigned Supervisor Districts; and to other county departments and outside agencies. Maintains regular communication and coordination with developers, submitting engineers, outside agencies, county staff and officials.
- Assists in the resolution of disputes concerning complaints and code interpretations; ensures Notices of Violation are properly issued.
- May lead or participate on various county and stakeholder committees to facilitate process improvements, develop new policies and procedures and recommend revisions to codes, ordinances and design standards.