Newington Townhouse Fire Results In $20K Worth Of Damages

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Thursday, September 5, at approximately 6:50 a.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue and the Fort Belvoir Fire and Emergency Services Department were dispatched for a reported townhouse fire in the 8600 block of Beech Hollow Lane in the Newington area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a three-story, middle unit townhouse and reported smoke coming from the second floor and roof. Crews found a fire in the floor joists between the first and second floor. The fire was quickly extinguished. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries reported.

No one was in the home at the time of the fire. The home was vacant and in the process of being remodeled. A neighbor discovered the fire when he arrived home from work and called 9-1-1. Smoke alarms were present but did not have batteries installed.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire started on the stairway landing on the first floor and was accidental in nature. The cause of the fire is attributed to the improper disposal of materials used to apply floor stain.

There were no occupants displaced. Red Cross assistance was not needed. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $20,250.

Comments