Smoke Alarm Alerts Occupants To Springfield House Fire

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Friday, August 16, at approximately 12:01 a.m., units were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 6300 block of Pioneer Drive in the Springfield area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a one-story, single family house with smoke showing from the roof. Crews quickly located and extinguished a fire in the attic. There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries.

Seven occupants were home at the time of the fire. One occupant was alerted to the fire by a working smoke alarm and called 9-1-1. The occupant then ensured everyone safely evacuated the home prior to fire department arrival.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the attic. The cause of the fire was a mechanical malfunction with the attic fan.

Seven occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and accepted. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $60,000.

Comments