Centreville Fire Caused By Citronella Candle

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Saturday, August 3, at approximately 10:43 p.m., units were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 14800 block of Cranoke Sreet in the Centreville area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a two-story, single-family house with fire showing from a shed and a recreational vehicle (RV) next to the home. Crews worked quickly to extinguish the fire. There was no extension into the home. No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.

Four occupants were home at the time of the fire. One occupant discovered the fire and called 9-1-1. Smoke alarms did not activate due to location of the fire.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in an outside shed. The cause of the fire was an unattended citronella candle.

No occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was not needed. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $25,000.

Comments