Another Fire Caused By Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Tuesday, August 13, at approximately 4:22 a.m., units were dispatched for a reported townhouse fire in the 6100 block of Joust Lane in the Kingstowne area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on the scene of a three-story, end unit townhouse with fire showing from the rear of the home. Fire was on all three floors with extension to the attic and the townhouse next door. A second alarm was immediately requested bring units from the City of Alexandria Fire Department and Fort Belvoir Fire and Emergency Services. Crews quickly brought the fire under control. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries reported.

Two occupants were home at the time of the fire. The fire was discovered when an occupant smelled smoke and noticed fire on the deck. He immediately called 9-1-1. There were working smoke alarms in the home that sounded after the fire was discovered.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started on the rear deck. The cause of the fire was the improper disposal of smoking materials.

Two occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and accepted. One occupant from the adjacent townhouse was also displaced. Red Cross assistance was offered and declined. Damages as a result of the fire are approximately $153,750.

If you smoke, please take a moment to learn how to prevent starting a fire. Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department urges all residents who smoke to “Sink It or Soak It!” and prevent careless fires!
Sink It PREVENT CARELESS FIRE

  • Never dispose of cigarette butts in potted planting soil. The soil, when it gets too dry, can become highly flammable.
  • Never flick cigarettes into mulch or shrubbery. Dispose of them in a suitable ashtray or bucket with sand. Ensure designated outside smoking areas have an appropriate fireproof container, ashtray or bucket.
  • Completely douse butts and ashes with water before throwing them away, as they can smolder and cause a fire.
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Provide large, deep ashtrays with a center support for smokers. Check furniture for any dropped ashes before going to bed. Empty ashes into a fireproof container with water and sand.
  • Keep smoking materials away from anything that can burn (i.e., mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, draperies, etc.).
  • Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
  • If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes. They are less likely to cause fires.
  • To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you must be alert. You won’t be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
  • Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children’s sight and reach.

Learn more about some of the recent fires:

Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials Cause Lake Barcroft House Fire

Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials Cause Annandale House Fire

Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials Start Another Significant Fire

Franconia House Fire Caused By Improperly Discarded Smoking Material

Improper Disposal of Smoking Materials Causes Dunn Loring House Fire

Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials Cause Annandale Nursing Home Fire

Improperly Discarded Cigarettes Cause Rose Hill House Fire

Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials Cause Springfield House Fire

Comments