Used Fireworks Blamed for Annandale House Fire

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Friday, July 5 at approximately 1:00 a.m., units were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 4100 block of Watkins Trail in the Annandale section of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a two-story, single family home to find fire showing from the carport area. Fire had also extended into the home. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire. There were no reported firefighter or civilian injuries.

Four occupants were home when the fire was discovered. A neighbor discovered the fire on the exterior of the home while walking her dog. She notified the occupants who were able to self-evacuate prior to arrival of the fire department. Smoke alarms were present but did not sound due to the location of the fire.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the carport. The cause of the fire is the improper disposal of used fireworks.

A total of five occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross was requested and accepted. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $381,350.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue urge all residents to treat the disposal of used fireworks the same as fireplace ashes. Please place into a metal container, douse with water, place a metal lid on top and place container away from the house.

Comments