One Person Injured In Mantua House Fire

FCFRD Photo

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Saturday, June 29 at approximately 6:27 p.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue and the City of Fairfax Fire Department were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 3600 block of Glenbrook Road in the Mantua area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on the scene of a two story, single-family house with significant fire in a sunroom to the rear of the home. There was also fire extension to the first floor, second floor, and attic. Crews quickly deployed multiple fire hose lines to each floor to extinguish the fire. One occupant sustained a burn injury and was transported to an area hospital. One firefighter sustained a non-life-threatening injury and was transported to an area hospital for evaluation.

Three occupants were home at the time of the fire. One occupant noted an unusual sound followed by fire coming from the grill. The occupants self-evacuated prior to the arrival of the fire department and called 9-1-1. Smoke alarms sounded but after the occupants discovered the fire.

Fire investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started on the deck when one of the occupants attempted to light the propane grill. The fire then spread to the adjacent rooms on the first floor via the deck door.

Three people were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and declined. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $243,750.

Comments