Herndon House Fire Caused By Electrical Event In Ceiling Fan

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Tuesday, July 30, at approximately 4:59 p.m., units were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 600 block of Pemberton Court in the Town of Herndon.

Units arrived on the scene of two-story, single family home to find heavy fire showing from a rear enclosed deck. The fire extended into the attic. Crews quickly extinguished the fire. There were no reported firefighter or civilian injuries.

Two occupants were home at the time of the fire. The fire was discovered by the homeowner and called in by the owner’s son. Both safely evacuated prior to fire department arrival. Working smoke alarms were present, however, did not sound due to the location of the fire.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in a ceiling fan in the enclosed screen porch. The cause of the fire involved an electrical event in the junction box of a ceiling fan.

Three occupants were displaced. Red Cross Services were offered and accepted. Damages were approximately $50,000.

Comments