Electrical Event In Outlet Cause Of Mount Vernon House Fire

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Sunday, July 7 at approximately 11:28 a.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department and the Fort Belvoir Fire and Emergency Services Department were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 4700 block of Neptune Drive in the Mount Vernon area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a two-story, single-family home with smoke showing from the roof. Crews quickly located a fire in the attic space of the attached garage. The fire was extinguished shortly thereafter. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

No one was home at the time of the fire. A neighbor called 9-11- when he observed smoke emitting from a second-floor window. Smoke alarms were present, but it is unknown if they activated due to the location of the fire.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire started within the attic space over the garage and was accidental in nature. The cause of the fire was electrical in nature involving an outlet.

Two adult occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was not needed. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $56,500.

Comments