Merrifield House Fire Caused By Electrical Malfunction

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Tuesday, June 4 at approximately 11:40 a.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue and the City of Fairfax Fire Department were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 2900 block of Cedarest Road in the Merrifield area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a two-story, single family home with smoke evident from the rear of the house. Crews quickly found fire in the attic space and extinguished with minimal extension to rest of home. There were no reported firefighter or civilian injuries.

One worker was present inside the house, and several workers were outside, when the fire was discovered. The worker inside noticed electrical arcing from the main electrical panel. 9-1-1 was then called. Smoke alarms were present but did not alert due to the location of the fire.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the knee wall space of the second-floor master bedroom. The cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction involving the wiring circuitry to the HVAC unit.

The house was vacant at the time of the fire. Red Cross assistance was not needed. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $75,000.

Comments