Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials Cause Lake Barcroft House Fire

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Friday, June 14, at approximately 2:30 p.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue, City of Alexandria, and Arlington County Fire Departments were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 6300 block of Columbia Pike in the Lake Barcroft area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on the scene of a two-story, single-family home with fire showing from the front and roof of the home. Crews rapidly went to work to control and eventually extinguish the fire. A second alarm was requested shortly after arrival. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries reported.

There were two occupants home at the time of the fire. A passerby saw smoke coming from the rear of the home, alerted the occupants inside, and called 9-1-1. The occupants self-evacuated prior to fire department arrival. Smoke alarms were present and sounded after the fire was discovered.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started on the rear deck.  The cause of the fire was improperly discarded smoking materials.

A total of four occupant were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and declined. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $218,500.

Comments