Charcoal Briquettes Cause Wolf Trap House Fire

This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.

On Sunday, June 9, at approximately 2:17 p.m., units were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 9000 block of Edgepark Road in the Wolf Trap area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a two-story, single family home with fire showing from the rear of the house. A fire was discovered on the rear deck with minor extension into the house. Crews worked quickly to extinguish the fire. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries reported.

Two occupants were home at the time of the fire. One occupant smelled smoke from inside the home and, upon investigating, discovered the fire on the rear deck. A call to 9-1-1 was then made. Smoke alarms were present but did not sound due to the location of the fire.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started on the rear deck in the enclosed covered porch. The cause of the fire was the improper disposal of used charcoal briquettes.

The occupants were not displaced. Red Cross assistance was not needed. Damage as a result of the fire was approximately $11,000.

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department would like to remind residents to grill safely and to please review safety tips below from the NFPA:

To dispose of charcoal after cooking

  • Before going to sleep or leaving the area, douse the fire with water and make sure the area is cool to the touch.
  • Empty the coals into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid that is used only to collect coals
  • Place the container outside and away from anything that can burn
  • Never empty coals directly into a trash can
  • Store the charcoal starter fluid out of reach of children and away from heat source

Comments