Unattended Candle Causes Springfield Apartment Fire

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Tuesday, April 30, at approximately 9 p.m., units were dispatched to a reported garden apartment fire in the 7000 block of Skyles Way located in the Springfield area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene to find a three-story, garden apartment building with fire showing from the second floor. A second alarm was requested bringing additional resources from the City of Alexandria Fire Department and Fort Belvoir Fire and Emergency Services Department. The fire was quickly brought under control and contained to the apartment. One resident was transported to an area hospital for a check-up. There were no reported firefighter injuries.

One occupant was home at the time of the fire. He was asleep when the sound of his smoke alarm alerted him. He self-evacuated and then activated a manual pull station which sounded the building fire alarm. This alerted the remaining building occupants to the fire.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental and started in a bedroom. The fire was caused by an unattended candle.

Nine building occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and accepted. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $93,750.

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department would like to remind residents to avoid the dangers of fire while burning candles to please follow the safety tips listed below:

  • Never leave burning candles unattended
  • Keep all combustible materials away from open flames
  • Do not burn candles near windows or doorways
  • Place candles in glass or ceramic containers
  • Place candles on a flat, sturdy non-combustible surface
  • Never leave candles burning when children or pets are present

Comments