News release from Arlington County:
ARLINGTON, Va. – The 2019 Girls on the Run 5K Race will be held in the Ballston-Virginia Square area on Sunday, May 19, 2019. The Arlington County Police Department will implement the following road closures from approximately 8:15 AM to 10:15 AM to accommodate the event:
- Fairfax Drive will be closed in both directions, from N. Taylor Street to Kirkwood Road.
- Fairfax Drive, from Kirkwood Road to Wilson Blvd./N. 10th Street, will be closed to eastbound traffic.
- Traffic lanes will be closed, from N. 10th Street to N. Irving Street, then east on N. 7th Street to Washington Blvd.
- Washington Blvd., from N. 7th Street to N. 10th Street, will be closed to eastbound traffic. Motorists from Washington Blvd. will be diverted to N. 10th Street east toward Rt. 50.
- 10th Street, from Washington Blvd. to N. Irving Street, will be closed to eastbound traffic.
- Wilson Blvd. will be closed in both directions at 10th Westbound traffic will be diverted onto Fairfax Drive, while eastbound traffic will be turned south prior to Jackson Street, where drivers can access Pershing Drive and maneuver around the race course.
- Ballston Metro Buses will be delayed for 15 minutes at the start of the race and ALL buses will be rerouted via N. Quincy Street to exit the area and continue their assigned routes.
- Motorists are reminded that other roads in the Ballston area will be closed for the Ballston Quarterfest. Pershing Drive, Glebe Road, and Lee Highway are recommended as alternate routes to reach points west and north of Ballston.
In addition to the closures, street parking in the area will be restricted. Motorists should be on the lookout for temporary “No Parking” signs. Illegally parked vehicles may be ticketed or towed. If your vehicle is towed from a public street, call the Emergency Communications Center at 703-558-2222.
For additional event information, visit the race website.