This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.
This week is Arson Awareness Week! The theme this year is, “Preventing Arson at Construction Sites.”
Construction sites can be prime targets for arsonists. Awareness is key. All community members can help to prevent arson at construction sites. Our partners in safety at the United States Fire Administration recommend the following for contractors and residents.
- Store solvents, fuels and tools in a locked storage container or remove them from the job site when you are not using them.
- Request additional patrols or drive-by’s from your local law enforcement.
- Remove trash and debris from the job site.
- Try not to store excess materials on the job site.
- Secure doors and windows on structures when crews are not actively working on the property.
Awareness is essential. Become familiar with activities in your neighborhood and report odd or suspicious activities to your local law enforcement.
For accessible information please go here: https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/arson_prevention_construction_sites.html