Electrical Malfunction Sparks House Fire

Source: this site

This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.

On Wednesday, May 15, at approximately 8:59 a.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue and Arlington County Fire Department were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 3100 block of Dashiell Road in the Westlawn section of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene and reported fire and smoke showing from the rear of a two-story, single family home. Crews worked quickly to extinguish the fire, which was primarily on the outside of the house with some extension inside. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries reported. Sadly, two dogs were found perished inside the home.

No occupants were home at the time of the fire. The fire was discovered by a neighbor who called 9-1-1. Smoke alarms were present, but it is unknown if they activated.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started on the rear covered deck. The cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction involving a refrigerator.

Two adults and two juveniles were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and accepted. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $143,750.

Comments