Oakton Townhouse Fire Caused By Improper Use Of Extension Cord

Source: this site

This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.

On Thursday, February 28, at approximately 11:09 p.m., units responded to a report of a townhouse fire in the 2800 block of Thaxton Lane in the Oakton area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a two-story, middle unit townhouse with smoke showing from the garage. Crews quickly located and extinguished the fire. The fire was contained to the garage and did not extend into home. There were no reported firefighter or civilian injuries.

There was one occupant in the home at the time of the fire. Sounding smoke alarms along with an odor of smoke alerted the occupant to the fire. The occupant promptly evacuated and called 9-1-1.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the garage. The fire was caused by the improper use of an extension cord resulting in an electrical event that ignited nearby ordinary combustibles.

One occupant was displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and declined. Damages as a result of the fire are approximately $87,500.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue would also like to remind all residents about electrical safety for extension cords, power strips and surge protectors:

  • Replace worn, old or damaged extension cords right away.
  • Use extension cords for temporary purposes only.
  • Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched, like under a carpet or rug.
  • Do not overload power strips.
  • Use power strips that have internal overload protection.

safety_tips_winter_fires_extension_cords.1200x900

Comments