Franconia House Fire Caused By Improperly Discarded Smoking Material

Source: this site

This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.

On Sunday, March 24 at approximately 1:58 p.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department and the City of Alexandria Fire Department were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 5900 block of Montell Drive in the Franconia area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a two-story, single family house with fire engulfing the rear of the home. Firefighters quickly went to work to extinguish a fire that had spread to the second floor, attic and the garage. During search operations, crews discovered one deceased canine. One civilian was transported to an area hospital for a check-up. One firefighter was also transported to a hospital for a check-up.

No occupants were home at the time of the fire. A neighbor smelled an odor of smoke and, upon further investigation, observed the back of the house on fire and called 9-1-1. It is unknown if smoke alarms activated.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started on the screened in porch. The cause of the fire was improperly discarded smoking materials.

Four occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and declined. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $663,538.

Photos courtesy of Daniel Liebman, Franconia Volunteer Fire Department

Comments