This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.
February is Heart Health Month.
Unfortunately, strokes do happen. It is important that you and your loved ones know and recognize the warning signs of a stroke as every second counts! Please take a moment to review the below tips from our friends at the American Heart Association.
If you think you or a loved one are experiencing a stroke, call 911 as soon as possible! Our paramedics and firefighters will be there to assist you promptly.
Sometimes other symptoms appear, separately, in combination or with F.A.S.T. signs. They are:
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding speech.
- Sudden numbness or weakness of face, arm or leg. Especially on one side of the body.
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes.
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination.
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause.
If someone shows any of these symptoms, call your Fairfax County Paramedics and Firefighter at 9-1-1 immediately!