Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials Cause Annandale Nursing Home Fire

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

NEWS copy Flame

On Tuesday, February 5, at approximately 10:49 p.m., units responded for a reported fire in a nursing home in the 7100 block of Braddock Road in the Annandale area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a one-story, nursing home with no fire or smoke showing. Upon investigation, crews discovered that nursing home staff extinguished the fire with a dry chemical extinguisher. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries.

One occupant was in the room at the time of the fire. Nursing home staff noticed a smell of smoke and, upon further investigation, discovered a fire in the occupant’s room. The occupant was immediately evacuated and staff initiated protect in place procedures for building residents. Staff also activated the fire alarm.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started on the occupant’s bed. The cause of the fire was improperly discarded smoking materials.

No one was displaced. Red Cross assistance was not needed. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $18,750.

Comments