Improper Disposal of Smoking Materials Causes Dunn Loring House Fire

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

On Tuesday, February 12, at approximately 12:02 a.m., units were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 2200 block of Chestertown Drive in the Dunn Loring area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene to find a two-story, single family house with fire showing from the rear of the home. Crews quickly located and extinguished the fire which was beginning to extend into the attic. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries reported.

Five occupants were in the home at the time of the fire. One of the occupants discovered the fire and called 9-1-1. All were able to self-evacuate prior to fire department arrival. Smoke alarms were present and sounded shortly after the fire was discovered.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started on the deck in the rear of the home. The fire was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials.

Four occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and declined. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $80,000.

Since January 1, 2019, there have been seven fires caused by improperly discarded smoking materials! Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department urges all residents who smoke to “Sink It or Soak It!” and prevent careless fires!

[embedded content]

Comments