Herndon Townhouse Fire Caused By Electrical Malfunction In Furnace

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

NEWS copy Flame

On Thursday, February 14, at approximately 4:02 a.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue, Loudoun Fire and Rescue, and the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Fire and Rescue Department were dispatched to the 2100 block of Oram Place in the Herndon area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on scene of a two-story, end-unit townhouse with smoke showing. Crews quickly located and extinguished a fire in the basement. No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.

Two occupants were home at the time of the fire. They were alerted to the fire by an odor of smoke. The occupants evacuated the home and called 9-1-1. Smoke alarms sounded shortly after the fire was discovered.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire started in the basement and was accidental in nature. The fire was caused by an electrical event involving the furnace.

Two occupants were displaced. Red Cross assistance was offered and accepted. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $115,000.

Comments