Extension cord sparks Reston house fire

photoFxFD photo

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

A faulty extension cord is being blamed for a house fire in the 2000 block of Beacon Place in the Reston area Sunday.

Firefighters arrived at 1:24 p.m. to find smoke showing from the front of a two-story, single-family home. Crews quickly extinguished a fire in the garage area. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported.

Two occupants were home at the time of the fire. One occupant discovered the fire in the attached garage after smelling smoke inside the home. The home was equipped with working smoke alarms that sounded after the fire was discovered.

Fire Investigators determined the fire was accidental in nature and started in the attached garage. The cause of the fire was a malfunction with an extension cord that ignited ordinary combustibles in close proximity.

The occupants were not displaced because of the fire. Red Cross services were not needed. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $25,000.

 

Comments