Dog dies, firefighters narrowly escape injury in Burke fire

photosFairfax Fire & Rescue Photos
Source: this site

This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.

A family dog died and two firefighters narrowly escaped injury when a floor buckled beneath them as they battled a house fire Monday morning in the Burke area.

Fairfax City and County firefighters were called to 9700 block of High Water Court in the Burke area of Fairfax County at about 11:45 a.m. Monday.

Units arrived to find smoke coming from the front of the middle-unit townhouse. Crews located a fire in the basement. As units worked to extinguish the fire, two firefighters conducted search and rescue operations on the first floor. During their search both firefighters partially fell through a hole in the floor. They quickly pulled themselves out of the hole and exited the home uninjured. There were no reports of civilian or firefighter injuries.

No residents were home at the time of the fire but the family dog was at home and passed away after being removed by firefighters.

The fire was reported by a neighbor who smelled smoke and called 9-1-1. Smoke alarms were present in the home and sounded.

Fire investigators determined the fire was accidental and originated in the space under the floor between the basement and first floor. The cause of the fire was an electrical event involving the wiring supplying an electrical outlet.

Two adults and one infant were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and accepted. The damages as a result of the fire were estimated to be $125,000.

 

Comments