This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.
A closet light was the cause of a Reston condo fire, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue officials say.
Firefighters were called at about 6:40 p.m. on Christmas Day to a condominium in the 1700 block of Ascot Way Reston.
Units arrived on scene with smoke showing from the front of a two-story, condominium building. Crews quickly extinguished a fire in a bedroom of one of the units. There were no reports of firefighter injuries. One occupant was treated and transported to an area hospital with minor, non-life-threatening injuries.
There was one occupant home at the time of the fire. The fire was discovered by the occupant after a smoke alarm sounded. The occupant was able to self-evacuate and call 9-1-1.
Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in a bedroom closet. The cause of this fire was an electrical event involving the light fixture in the closet.
No one was displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered but was declined. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $18,750.