Two cats rescued from Lake Barcroft house fire

photoFairfax Fire Rescue photo

This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.

On Thursday, December 20, at approximately 5:30 p.m., units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue and Arlington County Fire Department were dispatched for a reported house fire in the 3100 block of Holloway Road in the Lake Barcroft area of Fairfax County

Units arrived on scene and reported smoke showing from the second floor of a one-story, single family home. Crews quickly located and extinguished a fire in the attic. Firefighters also rescued two cats from the home. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported.

There was one adult and one juvenile occupant home at the time of the fire. One occupant smelled smoke prior to the smoke alarm sounding. Upon investigation both occupants saw smoke in the attic. They self-evacuated and called 9-1-1.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the pipe chase on the main level of the home. The cause of the fire was from a plumber’s torch used while soldering copper pipes.

A total of four occupants were displaced due to the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered but was declined. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $93,750.