Overloaded extension cord blamed for Springfield house fire

File photo
Source: this site

This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.

Firefighters say an overloaded extension cord is to blame for a Springfield house fire that broke out Thursday morning at a home in the 6000 block of Flanders Street.

Units arrived on scene with smoke showing from a three-story, single family home. Crews rapidly located and extinguished the fire. Three dogs were reported missing. Firefighters rescued two dogs from the home. Both were revived by fire and rescue personnel. One dog was later found deceased. One woman was transported to an area hospital for evaluation. No firefighter injuries were reported.

One occupant was home at the time of the fire. The fire was discovered by the occupant who called 9-1-1. Smoke alarms were present. It is unknown if they activated.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in a bedroom.

Two adults were displaced as a result of this fire. Red Cross services were offered and declined. Damages were estimated to be $30,000.