Electrical malfunction causes Reston townhouse fire

fairfax fire news
Source: this site

This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.

Fairfax County firefighters say an electrical malfunction is to blame for a townhouse fire in Reston Sunday.

Firefighters were called to the 11100 block of Saffold Way in the Reston area of Fairfax County about 8:30 p.m. Units arrived on scene to find a two-story, middle unit townhouse with fire showing from a vent in the roof. Crews entered the home and quickly located a fire in the walls and attic. The fire was extinguished. There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries.

Four occupants were in the home at the time of the fire. The occupants called 9-1-1 when they saw smoke coming from a vent in the bathroom. Smoke alarms were present but did not activate due to the location of the fire. The occupants safely self-evacuated prior to fire department arrival.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the attic space above a second-floor bathroom. The cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction with the wiring circuitry to a ceiling heat lamp fixture in the bathroom.

Four occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and accepted. Damage as a result of the fire is estimated to be $92,500.

Comments