Damaged electrical cord causes Mount Vernon townhouse fire

photo
Source: this site

This is a news release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department published verbatim.

A damaged electrical cord is being blamed for a fire that damaged a Mount Vernon townhouse on Christmas Eve.

Firefighters responded at 11:51 p.m. to an alarm in the 8500 block of Towne Manor Court in the Mount Vernon area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on the scene of a two-story, middle-unit townhouse with no smoke or fire initially evident. Crews quickly found a fire in a second-floor bedroom. The fire was rapidly extinguished. There were no injuries.

There were two occupants and two dogs home at the time of the fire. All occupants self-evacuated prior to the arrival of the fire department. One occupant went to a neighbor’s home and asked him to call 9-1-1. There were working smoke alarms in the home which sounded prior to the occupants discovering the fire.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in an upstairs bedroom closet. The cause of the fire was an electric event involving a damaged electrical cord that was supplying power to lights in the closet.

Red Cross assistance was offered and declined by the occupants. Damages as a result of the fire were estimated to be $20,000.

Comments