Smoke alarms alert family to Annandale house fire

photoFCFD Photo

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

Firefighers say smoke alarms alerted an Annandale family to a house fire, enabling them to quickly call 9-1-1.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue and the City of Fairfax Fire Department responded about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday to the 4100 block of Elizabeth Lane in the Annandale area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on the scene of a two-story, single family home with smoke throughout the home. Crews quickly located, and extinguished, a fire in a basement level garage. No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.

Six occupants were in the home at the time of the fire. All escaped safely.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the garage. The cause of the fire was an electrical event within an outlet that was being used to supply a space heater powered through an extension cord.

Four adults and two children have been displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assistance was offered and declined. Damages as a result of the fire are approximately $90,000.