Gas furnace blamed for Annandale apartment fire

fairfax fire news

News release from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue officials say a faulty gas furnace is to blame for a Monday afternoon apartment fire in the 4900 block of Americana Drive in the Annandale section of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on the scene of a three-story, garden apartment style building with fire showing from the second floor. The fire extended from a utility room into the attic space. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire. There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries.

Three occupants were home at the time of the fire. One occupant discovered the fire in the outside utility room on the balcony and called 9-1-1. All occupants safely evacuated prior to fire department arrival. The apartment was equipped with working smoke alarms that sounded after the fire was discovered. The building was not equipped with sprinklers.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire was accidental in nature and started in the outside utility room. The cause of the fire was a malfunction with the gas furnace that ignited nearby ordinary combustibles.

Four occupants were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross services were offered but declined. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $90,000.