Fatal Springfield fire blamed on electrical fault

A fire that killed a Springfield man Wednesday morning is being blamed on an electrical problem in the home’s furnace.

Fatal home fire

FCFD photo

Seventy-three year old Jaime Rodriguez died in the fire in the 7200 block of Beverly Park Drive. Firefighters saw heavy fire when they arrived at the house. They quickly placed a ladder to a second floor window to try to search for a person who was reported to have been trapped inside. They were forced to retreat after the ceiling above them collapsed. Rodriguez’s body was later found on the second floor.

Fairfax County firefighters say a next-door neighbor alerted them to the blaze after smelling smoke. Fire investigators say the home had smoke alarms but they had been disabled. The investigators determined that the fire was accidental and started in the first-floor utility room. The cause of the fire was an electrical event involving the power supply to the furnace.

Three occupants were displaced due to the fire. Damages were approximately $288,850.

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.