Electrical fault blamed for Great Falls house fire

Fire investigators say extension cords and a power strip are at the root of a fire that heavily damaged a home in Great Falls Wednesday.

The blaze broke out a little before 11:00 a.m. in the garage of a two-story home in the 900 block of Holly Blossom Court. The first units to arrive were met by heavy fire and smoke which was spreading from the garage to the home itself.  Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire in the garage and stop it from spreading very far into the house.

One occupant of the house was evaluated for a minor injury and declined transportation to a hospital. Three firefighters also had minor injuries. One was treated on scene and two were transported and released from the hospital.

One occupant was home at the time of the fire. The occupant saw smoke coming from the rear garage door.  Simultaneously, a neighbor saw fire coming from the garage and called 9-1-1. Smoke alarms sounded after the fire was discovered.

Two adults have been displaced as a result of the fire. Damages are estimated to be $149,500.

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.