Unattended grill blamed for $200,000 Reston house fire

A charcoal grill, left unattended under a deck, is being blamed for sparking the fire that seriously damaged a house in Reston Saturday.

The blaze broke out around 9:00 p.m. in the 11900 block of Grey Squirrel Lane. Arriving fire units were faced with a large amount of fire burning on all three levels of the rear of the home.

Three people were home at time of the fire. One of them, a child, discovered the fire before any smoke alarm sounded. No one was hurt.

Fairfax County fire investigators have determined that the fire was accidental and started under the deck in the rear of the home. The fire was caused by an unattended charcoal grill located under the deck in the rear of the home. Damages are estimated at $202,500.

 

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.