Fire roared through the clubhouse building in the Centreville Farms community Friday night. A large crowd gathered as Fairfax County firefighters battled the blaze that engulfed the two-story building.
The first alarm was sounded shortly after 8:30 p.m., reporting a fire in a large clubhouse in the 5400 block of Calamint Court.
Upon arrival, units observed a large amount of fire coming from the clubhouse. Crews fought and extinguished the majority of the fire from outside using a defensive attack. A small natural gas-fed fire remained under control until the gas company arrived and turned off an underground valve. There were no reported firefighter or civilian injuries.
No one was in the clubhouse at the time of the fire. A passerby called 911 after seeing flames coming from the structure.
The fire originated on the exterior of the structure within the trash can corral. The cause of the fire is accidental in nature, fire officials said. Significant damage to the clubhouse was attributed to the outside fire causing a failure of the gas meter lines. The fire was rapidly propelled through the structure due to the high winds. Damages are estimated at $120,000.