Large fire sends flames over Centreville community

FCFD Photo

Fire roared through the clubhouse building in the Centreville Farms community Friday night. A large crowd gathered as Fairfax County firefighters battled the blaze that engulfed the two-story building.

The first alarm was sounded shortly after 8:30 p.m., reporting a fire in a large clubhouse in the 5400 block of Calamint Court.

Upon arrival, units observed a large amount of fire coming from the clubhouse. Crews fought and extinguished the majority of the fire from outside using a defensive attack. A small natural gas-fed fire remained under control until the gas company arrived and turned off an underground valve. There were no reported firefighter or civilian injuries.

No one was in the clubhouse at the time of the fire. A passerby called 911 after seeing flames coming from the structure.

The fire originated on the exterior of the structure within the trash can corral. The cause of the fire is accidental in nature, fire officials said. Significant damage to the clubhouse was attributed to the outside fire causing a failure of the gas meter lines. The fire was rapidly propelled through the structure due to the high winds. Damages are estimated at $120,000.

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.