It’s starting. The latest attempt to “transform” traffic-clogged I-66 outside the Beltway begins this weekend and is expected to last through 2022. Yes, 2022.
VDOT advises that overnight lane closures are scheduled on westbound I-66 between Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road) and U.S. Route 50 and on eastbound I-66 at I-495 this coming weekend, April 13-15. Crews will shift travel lanes and set up work zones to allow for construction on the “Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.”
Additionally, the exit ramps from northbound I-495 regular and express lanes to eastbound I-66 will be narrowed, and drivers should expect periodic slowdowns.
Following this weekend work, all lanes on eastbound I-66 inside the I-495 interchange to Virginia Lane will be shifted toward the outside shoulder. All lanes on westbound I-66 between Route 123 and Route 50 will be shifted toward the inside median. These lane shifts will allow for long-term work zones to be set up, and will remain in place to support upcoming construction activity.
Closures are scheduled to occur from 9:00 p.m. until 9:00 a.m. on the nights of Friday, April 13 and Saturday, April 14. Details include:
Friday, April 13
- Eastbound on I-66 at I-495 Single lane closure at 9 p.m. on eastbound I-66 at Cedar Lane
- Double lane closure at 10 p.m. on eastbound I-66 near the I-495 interchange
- Narrowing of exit ramps at 10 p.m. from northbound I-495 regular and express lanes to eastbound I-66. Drivers using this ramp should expect periodic slowdowns
Saturday, April 14
- Westbound on I-66 between Route 123 (Chain Bridge Rd.) and Rt. 50 Single lane closure at 9 p.m. on westbound I-66 near Blake Lane
- Double lane closure at 10 p.m. on westbound I-66 near Chain Bridge Road
- Narrowing of the exit ramps at 10 p.m. from northbound and southbound Chain Bridge Road to westbound I-66.
The I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes are not expected to open until December 2022, so commuters can look forward to a long series of delays and setbacks. Checks FairfaxNews Traffic & Transit section for the latest on planned projects and current delays.