Oakton man barricades himself, fires weapon

Fairfax County police fired one round at a 41-year-old man to end a two-hour barricade situation early today in the Oakton area with no major injuries. Officers were initially called to the 2800 block of Hunter Road for the report of an armed suicidal man who had discharged a round from his firearm around 11:00 p.m. Wednesday.

Patrol officers isolated the area and negotiations began while crisis negotiators and SWAT officers responded to the scene to continue with the de-escalation efforts.  A couple of hours into the event, the man ignored commands to surrender peacefully and exited his home armed with a firearm.

An officer assigned to the Special Operations Division fired one round from his service weapon but the bullet did not strike the man. Other officers deployed less lethal force including an electronic weapon, bean bag rounds, and a .40mm foam projectile. Officers were then able to safely take the man into custody. He had minor injuries and was taken to the hospital to be evaluated, and is expected to be transferred to a mental health facility today. Charges are possible.

The Major Crimes Bureau is conducting a criminal investigation into the deployment of deadly force. When the investigation is complete, the findings will be presented to the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney for Fairfax County. Additionally, the department’s Internal Affairs Bureau is conducting an administrative investigation in accordance with policy. The Police Auditor for the County of Fairfax will monitor the ongoing investigations, and will conduct a review of the investigations when they are completed.

The involved officer, who has ten years of experience, is on routine administrative leave while the investigations are being conducted.


About the Author

Truman Lewis
A former reporter and bureau chief, Truman Lewis has covered presidential campaigns, state politics and stories ranging from organized crime to environmental and consumer protection.