Chimney joint gap blamed for Reston townhouse fire

A fire that seriously damaged a townhouse in Reston Saturday was caused by a problem with the home’s chimney.

Fairfax County fire investigators say the blaze started in the attic of the townhouse, in the 2000 block of Swans Neck Way, when heat escaped from gaps in the joints of the metal chimney pipe and ignited parts of the wooden structure.

The blaze was quickly extinguished and nobody was hurt.

Three people have been displaced by the fire. Damage is estimated at $65,000.

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.