It took a chain of events to spark a series of fires in a house in Dunn Loring early Wednesday morning.
According to Fairfax County fire investigators, it all began when a car hit a utility pole in the 2400 block of Gallows Road a little before 1:00 a.m. The pole collapsed, taking down some utility lines.
One of those lines was yanked away from the power meter outside a two-story, single family home. That caused an electrical arc. The arc energized several locations inside the house, igniting fires in the basement ceiling, under a deck and in several other spots in the house. It also set fire to fluids in the road.
Firefighters were able to quickly douse all of the blazes.
Four people were home at the time of the fire and escaped without injury. Damage is estimated at $10,000.
The driver of the car that started it all, 22-year-old Sean Moynihan, has been charged with DUI.