The Virginia Department of Transportation is treating roads in advance of a wintry mix forecasted to arrive during the early morning hours Wednesday. Drivers are asked to monitor the weather closely (see National Weather Service forecast), and adjust their trips as needed to avoid driving in icy conditions.
Overnight tonight, crews will load and stage trucks in northern Virginia, ready to treat roads with salt and sand through the morning as needed.
Drivers are asked to:
- Stay closely tuned to forecasts (see National Weather Service)
- If conditions are icy, delay trips for safety.
- Assume any “wet” pavement to be icy. Bridges, ramps, overpasses and lower-volume roads will freeze first, and even previously treated roads become slick quickly with low pavement temperatures.
- Ensure gas and wiper fluid tanks are full, and have a good emergency kit:www.ready.gov/car.
Stay up-to-date on current road conditions:
- Check FairfaxNews’ constantly updated traffic delays.
- Visit www.virginiadot.org/novaemergency for the latest updates and resources from VDOT in northern Virginia
- Follow @vadotnova on Twitter
- Check http://www.511virginia.org or the 511 mobile app for traffic conditions and lane closures
- Get more details on snow removal in northern Virginia