A pair of leaking propane tanks forced 168 people from their apartments Sunday afternoon at an apartment building in Springfield.
It happened around 2:30 p.m. in the 7400 block of Spring Village Drive. Fairfax County firefighters say two 1,000-gallon propane cylinders rolled down a hill and were leaking. A vapor cloud had formed.
Haz-mat crews determined the tanks were structurally sound. One tank was secured in place and the tank valves were shut off. The second tank was then stabilized in position. Because the dome of the second tank was buried in mud, crews had to manually dig to reach its shut-off valves.
Once both tanks were stable and shut off, all occupants were allowed to return to their apartments. No one was hurt.