Bedroom smoking blamed for fatal Fairfax house fire

Fire investigators say the house fire in which a Fairfax man died Monday morning started in a bedroom and was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

Sixty-four year old Charles Petrello died in the blaze in the 4100 block of Mount Echo Lane. Firefighters doused the blaze quickly but Petrello’s body was found during their search.

Another man who was in the house was taken to a hospital with injuries that were non-life-theatening.

 

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.