Fireplace ashes blamed for Belle Haven house fire

FCFD command post

Fairfax County fire investigators have determined that ashes from a fireplace, discarded outside the house improperly, are what caused a house fire in Belle Haven Thursday afternoon.

The first fire units to arrive at the three-story home in the 6100 block of Vernon Terrace were confronted with fire on one side of the house and smoke venting from windows on the second and third floors and from the roof. Firefighters evacuated a woman, unhurt, from a third floor bedroom. The blaze, though extensive, was quickly extinguished.

No injuries were reported and damages are estimated at approximately $211,150.

 

 

 

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.