Beginning Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, Fairfax Connector will be implementing service changes on several routes to improve the customer experience through increased on-time performance, improved service reliability and reduced crowding. To serve the greatest number of riders as effectively as possible, improvements target high-ridership corridors and partially address the elimination of Metrobus Route 2T.
- Reroute Route 171 between Pohick and Telegraph Roads to take advantage of new traffic signal at Whernside Street and Telegraph Road;
- Adjust arrival times on Fairfax Connector Routes 231 and 232 to improve transfer opportunities with Routes 321,322 and 373;
- Increase span of service and frequency on Routes 321 and 322;
- Eliminate Bland Street diversion on Routes 321 and 322;
- Extend Routes 321 and 322 on Industrial Road to serve the Amazon facility;
- Restructure Route 333 service as Routes 340 and 341, maintaining service to Patriot Ridge and extending service to Boston Boulevard;
- Implement minor schedule revisions to Route 334 to interline with new Routes 340 and 341;
- Add a Route 335 morning trip departing at 6:00 a.m. from Franconia – Springfield Metrorail Station;
- Address travel demands for Route 395 by eliminating some morning trips from Backlick North Park & Ride, as well as some afternoon trips to Gambrill Road Park & Ride;
- Reroute Route 462 onto Prosperity Avenue and Hilltop Road to address elimination of Metrobus 2T;
- Reroute Route 463 on Gosnell Road and Leesburg Pike to address elimination of Metrobus 2T; and
- Revise Route 551 schedule to address afternoon crowding issues related to ridership to/from South Lakes High School.
Changes by Route
Route 171 – Richmond Highway
- Reroute onto Whernside Street between Pohick and Telegraph Roads to take advantage of new traffic signal at Whernside and Telegraph.
- Eliminate Bland Street route diversion.
- Expand the span of service to operate late evenings and improve headways.
- Feature 20 to 30 minute headways Monday through Friday, 30 to 60 minute headways Saturday, and 60 minute headways Sunday.
- Weekend service improvements: all trips after 8:00 p.m. on weekdays and 6:00 p.m. on weekends, including the proposed new late evening trips, would bypass the Industrial Road and Commercial Drive area, where there is no demand for service at these times.
- Extend service along Industrial Road to provide access to the new Amazon facility.
Route 333 – Patriot Ridge – Saratoga
- Route 333 will be replaced by two new routes Route 340 (Patriot Ridge – Saratoga) and Route 341 (Boston Boulevard – Saratoga) that will service the current route pattern.
- Restructure route to reduce pattern complexity for riders. Time interval between buses will be approximately 25 to 30 minutes on weekdays and approximately 30 minutes on Saturdays.
- Maintain AM and PM rush hour VRE connections at Franconia-Springfield; serve Patriot Ridge and Boston Boulevard.
Route 334 – Newington Circulator
- Minor schedule adjustments to align service with new Routes 340 and 341.
Route 335 – Fort Belvoir “The Eagle”
- Add a morning trip departing at 6:00 a.m. from Franconia-Springfield Metrorail Station, in response to rider input.
Route 395 – Springfield – Pentagon
- To better handle current travel demand, some morning trips will not serve Backlick North Park & Ride and one afternoon trip will terminate at Gambrill Park & Ride and not serve Backlick North Road Park & Ride.
Route 462 – Dunn Loring – Navy Federal – Tysons
- Reroute onto Prosperity Avenue and Hilltop Road to address elimination of Metrobus 2T. Maintains service to Vienna Park Apartments.
Route 463 – Maple Avenue – Vienna
- Reroute onto Gosnell Road to address elimination of Metrobus 2T, providing access to Tysons Tower Apartments.
Route 551 – South Lakes Drive
- Shorten headways on some afternoon trips to 30 minutes to address crowding associated with South Lakes High School ridership.
For More Information on Fairfax Connector Service
- Visit www.fairfaxconnector.com
- Call 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608 (Monday – Friday, 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday – Sunday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Visit a Connector Store
- Follow us on Twitter & Facebook