Clothes dryer blamed for Hybla Valley townhouse fire

FCFD command post

Don’t leave home with the clothes dryer running. Here’s why.

Fairfax County fire investigators say a faulty dryer is to blame for a fire that damaged a townhouse in the 2500 block of Windbreak Drive Monday. Nobody was home at the time but neighbors saw smoke coming from a dryer vent and called 9-1-1.

Firefighters found a fire in the basement of the home and quickly extinguished it. Nobody was hurt but the two people who live there were displaced. Damage is estimated at $20,000.

Lint fires are actually quite common. Earlier this month, a townhouse fire in the Burke area was blamed on a clogged lint filter. That fire broke out in the middle of the night and caused extensive damage to the home and killed the family’s dog. Five occupants of the home were displaced.

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.