Numbers are better than a thousand words to tell the story of Fairfax County’s people and businesses. And you can find them in a fascinating new county profile just published by the Fairfax County Economic Development Agency.
- There are 37.6 thousand businesses in the county. 8,900 of them are tech. That’s the second highest concentration of technology companies in the country.
- Those businesses employ 595 thousand people. Twenty-six percent are professional, scientific or technical. Ten-percent are healthcare or social services. Another ten-percent are management or administrative.
- The county unemployment rate is 3.1-percent.
- Nine Fortune Five Hundred companies have their headquarters in Fairfax County.
- Nearly 48 thousand businesses are owned by minorities. Nearly 42 thousand are owned by women.
- There are more than 350 cyber security companies and more than 150 that specialize in cloud computing, including Amazon web services.
- The median household income is $113,208. That compares with $66,262 statewide and $55,775 nationwide.
- Fifty-nine percent of Fairfax residents have at least a bachelor’s degree. More than 26 thousand hold PhDs
- Ninety-two percent of the students in Fairfax County Public Schools graduate. The average SAT score is 1672.
- The average rent for an apartment is $1,750.
It all adds up, according to the report, to a county economy totaling $120-billion.