Gas fireplace blamed for Monday house fire in Fairfax

Fire investigators say a gas fireplace ignited the wooden chimney framework of a home in Fairfax Monday night, sending flames into the attic and basement.

It took thirty minutes for firefighters to douse the blaze in the 5000 block of Huntwood Manor Drive.  Two adults and three children escaped without injury.

Damage is estimated at $30,000.00.

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.