Five displaced as fire destroys Annandale home

Annandale fire

Fire has destroyed a home in the 7200 block of Poplar Street in Annandale.

The blaze was reported around 1:45 Friday afternoon after someone in the home smelled smoke.  When firefighters arrived they could see fire coming from the rear of the two-story house.  A second alarm was ordered before the fire was brought under control.

One firefighter was hurt slightly.  Five people who live in the house were displaced.

Fire investigators say the fire originated in wires located between the floor joists between the first floor and the basement. There was one smoke alarm in the home but its battery was dead.

Damages to the building are estimated to be approximately $161,250.00.

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.