Fire investigators blame a faulty furnace flue for a blaze that burned through the roof of a garden apartment building in the 8400 block of Richmond Highway Saturday evening.
First units to arrive reported a well-advanced fire in the building’s attic. The blaze went to two alarms before it was brought under control.
More than 65 occupants were displaced from 12 apartments. One person was taken to a hospital for a check up.
Investigators believe that heat escaping from a damaged section of a natural gas furnace flue ignited combustibles in the attic. Damage is estimated at about $227,500.