Electrical cords and socket blamed for deadly house fire

3700-block-logan-3ct3700-block-logan-4ctFairfax County fire investigators are blaming improper use of extension cords and surge protectors for Saturday’s deadly fire in Alexandria.

They say the fire that killed 82 year old Jack Thomas in his home in the 3700 block of Logan Court began around 3:47am in a bedroom electrical outlet.  Firefighters found Thomas inside and unconscious.  Despite CPR efforts he was pronounced dead at a the hospital.

The fire was reported by a neighbor who saw smoke coming from the home and called 911. Investigators say there was was a smoke alarm but it’s not known if it activated.

 

Comments

About the Author

Ed Tobias
Ed Tobias brings more than four decades of reporting and news management experience to his work at FairfaxNews. Tobias managed news coverage for Associated Press Radio for over twenty years.  This included coverage of the 9/11 attacks, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, the death of Princess Diana, the Challenger and Columbia shuttle disasters and national election primaries, conventions and campaigns.  He was part of the team that built AP’s on-line video operation. Prior to joining AP, Tobias was News Director at all-news WTOP in Washington, D.C. He has won two Ohio State Awards for his reporting and producing and he led coverage that won an Edward R. Murrow Award.